Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Time Out..

   Well here I am with my laptop, a cup of tea and Radio 3, getting used to being in my own apartment in Barcelona. Though you could say that I'm hardly out of my comfort zone with all those 'home' comforts. The weather is also making me feel quite at home because it's overcast, not the sunny Barcelona I've become accustomed to in previous visits. Anyway, it is lovely to be here, in an apartment which is truly an artist's studio - a huge open space with floor to ceiling windows, a shiny marble floor, enormous paintings leaning nonchalantly around the walls and a jungle of very large green plants in very large pots between me and the windows. I love it.
   I arrived yesterday and was collected at the airport by a smiling Son, who whisked me here to drop my luggage before we went to collect grandson from Nursery. I don't know who was more excited, him or me (Grandson I mean - Son managed to contain his excitement). Then we all went on a magic shopping trip to their favourite organic supermarket where I wandered around in a bit of a daze and managed to forget several of the essentials (milk, water, chocolate) but did buy enough stuff to keep body and soul together (bread and wine in particular).
   I slept very soundly last night in this new place, and woke at 9 feeling rather strange but happy. I made a cup of tea by boiling water in a saucepan (can't reach the kettle which I finally located on top of a very tall cupboard) drank it without milk (!) and then negotiated the shower pretty successfully.
I finally got out of the house at about midday, and sat outside a nearby cafe with a cortado and a lovely little croissant. Heaven knows why we don't have these delightful little street cafes serving perfect coffee and perfect little pastries without any fuss, climate I suppose, but it is all so civilised.
   I think I'll go for another walk and acclimatise myself a bit more - there's a spot of sun coming out and it looks rather inviting. I'm only a 10 minute stroll from Son's apartment and just a bit further from the beach. I'll be back later with more jottings from Barcelona..
   
   

No comments: