Saturday, June 27, 2020

Another Heat Wave...

      This week has been another very hot one, overall. We had a couple of days when it was hotter here in England than in Majorca and Ibiza, which  is all very well but we are not all on holiday and heading for the beach,  Oh wait though, that's exactly what did happen - the mindless majority did apparently do precisely that. I do wonder that anyone can consider this to be ok behaviour when a couple of weeks ago we were all obeying the instruction to stay safely at home!! I'm afraid I put the blame firmly on Boris Johnson for allowing the ghastly Dominic Cummings to flout all the rules, do precisely as he pleased and get away with it. The fact that many people are having unbounded beach parties,dancing in the streets and being encouraged to drink in pubs again is directly attributable to Cummings' behaviour. Have we already forgotten the fact that during lockdown he was spotted (and filmed) dancing to Abba in the garden at his parents' house, and that next day he celebrated his wife's birthday with a visit to Barnard Castle? And then drove all the way back home to London after he had finished his family celebrations. Just multiply this behaviour - firmly supported by the Prime Minister - by hundreds of thousands (they can all read after all - or mostly) and you can see where the current attitudes have come from. You'd better duck Johnson, because the mud slinging will eventually come your way. At least I fervently hope it will.
      I did go to the beach on one of our hot days, as I was longing for a swim. I left it until about 5pm but there were still quite a few people on Shoreham Beach. No problem social distancing though, and I had a lovely cold splash in the sea before I came back to cook supper. Big Grandson was here again and we had a very companionable time. It is all a bit like Groundhog Day though: the weeks are  much the same and here we are nearly at the end of June.
      Today we have some very welcome rain, and I have purple flowers on my climbing bean plant and white flowers on my strawberry plant. Still no flowers on the nasturtiums though, and I'm just about keeping the blackfly at bay. Another day in Paradise...
       

No comments: