Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Where there's a Will...

      I just thought  I could squeak in another post before the end of the month, and here it is! Today has been cold, windy, rainy -  and very trying for me. I had arranged for a Legal man to come and help me write a Will, something I have been successfully avoiding  for a good few years. I looked in my document box last night and discovered the last one I wrote which was in 1988. It was the year after we moved to Cambridge, when my children were still young (9 and 7) and there was a lot of complicated stuff going on in our lives. I had recovered from the brain tumour and we were happily settled in our new house, but it had been traumatic to say the least. Anyway, what I discovered when I found the Will was that I had signed it but not had it witnessed! As it turned out it hadn't mattered because here I still am - and also it was a registered copy,  not the original which I assume is still sitting tight in the old Solicitor's office! What a  palaver, but we sat  here for an hour and a half at the end of which  I had a draft Will and a possible Power of Attorney too. Enough said - and I spent the rest of the day feeling rather overwhelmed by it all. It's expensive too, but I guess it removes any anxiety for my Children when the inevitable happens.
      What a day, and something I don't want to repeat really. And just to cheer me up further, I had a letter from the Eye Hospital confirming that I need  three more eye injections, and casually mentioning that my eyes have deteriorated a bit since they were last examined. Oh bugger, it seems I am gradually falling apart.
      I'll just say goodbye to June, and to you, for now...Let's hope for a better July.

No comments: