Monday, November 18, 2019

Nearly all over...

      Well, my absence this time was not really my fault. I have tried several times to start a new post and the blooming computer wouldn't let me! I have no idea why, but I was barred from my own Blog and as I'm not the sharpest on tech stuff, I just didn't know what to do. Anyway, I'm back now and just hope it will be ok.
      I have had a pretty horrible time, healthwise, to be honest, with an abcess or two (one on my chest and one on a tooth) a chest infection and a continuing snuffly cold, so it's no wonder I'm a bit fed up with it. I have also decided to deal with my dodgy ears, eyes and teeth before I disappear off to Spain, and while I'm at it, I'm going to ask for an MOT at my GP so that I can feel better about everything. It all sounds a bit depressing, all part of growing older I know, but a good plan to deal with it I think.
      On a more cheerful note, things are going pretty well in Barcelona, as they have finally found an apartment in Sitges, which looks really lovely: it's in a modern development, with amazing views to the sea, three bedrooms, and a communal pool. It's also very near the school for Jasper. Let's hope it works out for them - and they have invited me over for Christmas, what larks!
      I don't think I told you about my visit to Sitges in October: it was lovely weather and I stayed the first 6 days in a hotel on the seafront, the Platjador. I had an ensuite room on the third floor, with a balcony overlooking the pool at the back. I can't praise the hotel enough; I had the biggest bed I have ever seen, very comfortable, a super shower room and it was immaculate. The staff were lovely too, and couldn't have been more helpful. A fabulous breakfast was included in the price, as was tea with pastries, served at 5 o'clock in the roof terrace bar. Altogether it was perfect and I also looked at four rental flats while I was there. I met some lovely people too; the owner of one of the flats, and her Mother, and a really nice young woman Estate Agent (I know that's normally a contradiction in terms, but she was extremely nice). Anyway, it was altogether a really good experience and a chance to see what might be available in Sitges for a long-term rental.
      The family turned up to collect me in Sitges on Saturday, and combined this with looking at flats that might suit them. We had delayed this for a day as the Catalan demonstrations were in full swing in Barcelona that week - In fact I had been very lucky not to be affected by them. I had watched the news avidly in my room as it had been full on all week - though not in Sitges! I must say that it did help my understanding of Spanish, though not my ability to speak it. And I can sympathize with the Catalan cause, though not the violence involved - I hated seeing cars on fire in the streets.
      Amazingly there was no sign of protesters,  marches or demonstrations when we drove back to Barcelona.They had all melted away and Barcelona was back to its elegant self. Rather strange.
Anyway, I then had five days with my lovely Son and his family before coming back, and though they hadn't then found an apartment, I'm happy to say that they have now, so it's all change again.
      More updates to follow - it really feels much colder now, so I guess it's "Winter drawers on"!!
;



No comments: