Friday, June 17, 2011

Family Matters...

Oh god, this weather is really getting me down. Most days this month it has been gloomy and grey, no sun and certainly not warm enough to sit out on the balcony. On the good side, it has rained at last, (rather a lot) and I have been able to get into the garden and actually do something. The pond has filled up at last, and so the big tadpoles have something to swim in; they really are enormous and I wonder if they are actually toadpoles rather than the froggy variety.

Familywise, there is a big get-together this weekend, though I'm not included! The occasion is a visit from the ex-husband, accompanied by wife No.4, all the way from New Zealand. Daughter and Grandson met up with him Friday here in Brighton (not actually here in my house) and they all went to buy Grandson a belated Birthday present and then out to dinner. Then today, Daughter, Grandson and the new Boyfriend are all in Essex for a big reunion with ex-husband's brother, wife and family, which includes a son and daughter and their children (two each)! Phew. Quite a crowd, and I really hope that they have a great time. Son will be joining them too, either today or Sunday (I'm not sure which), and Daughter and Co will be staying in a hotel overnight tonight. Surprisingly, I feel rather "left out", which is strange given that I really wouldn't want to spend time with the ex. I think it's becaused it's a family reunion and I'd very much like to see all the others and catch up with all their news and stuff. That's me of course, quite contrary... Ah well

Instead, today I have had a visit from my ABF who drove over from Sissinghurst to collect her Birthday present (a lovely pink bush rose called Clare, which I found at Rushfield garden centre, just over the Dyke). She came bearing masses of gifts, as she always does: some gorgeous black cherries from the farm, and some brown eggs, plus rhubarb from her garden. We had a nice lunch here and then watched Royal Ascot on TV. My ABF, being very aristocratic, knows a lot about racehorses and trainers etc, as she used to own and run horses in a previous existence. She still follows the racing news, is very knowledgeable, and knows lots of the people involved so it was interesting watching with her, and I did enjoy the other bits such as the fashions and the hats. What a lot of money there is sloshing around at these events! Obviously not everyone is feeling the pinch!

Afterwards we went for a very windy walk down by the sea to get a bit of fresh air. My goodness did we get fresh air!! The sea was very rough, a cold greeny-grey, and we were practically blown away by the fiercest easterly wind. It was pretty cold and we had all the breath blown out of us, so we soon gave up and turned for home. And to think that next week is the Summer Solstice.. the 21st June and the longest day.. To be perfectly honest it feels more like winter here and I'm still taking a hot water bottle to bed every night!

4 comments:

Expat mum said...

M - I'm flying over on Tuesday. I want nice weather. Can you talk to someone please?

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Expat mum - so sorry, but I don't think I can do it!! I wish I could send in the sunshine though; I'd be very popular if I could :-)
M xx
PS. Don't suppose you'll be visiting Hove Actually??

Maggie May said...

Ex husband with wife number 4!!!!!!! Wow, what can I say.

The weather is weird raining one day sunny the next and the longest day over :-(
Maggie X

Nuts in May

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Maggie, well, you couldn't say anything worse than I do!! Anyway, it all went off pretty well, I believe. Weather no better here either, despite the promised sun. M xx