Monday, April 23, 2012

Rain, rain, go away...

They do say you should be careful what you wish for, and since we officially have a drought, most people have been wishing hard for rain for the last few months. Well, here it is, and it hasn't stopped for the last couple of weeks. Today was the limit though; there was torrential rain all day, combined with an icy wind, and as I had to go out several times, I was thoroughly soaked every time(and I have discovered that I don't have a pair of watertight shoes...) Ah well, but it is strange how bad-tempered a day of non-stop rain can make you, or rather me! I have to admit I was really cross, swore vividly every time my umbrella got stuck in something and had to change my tights and shoes for each outing. By the time I finally got back indoors with Grandson after school this afternoon, I was fed up to say the least. And Grandson's shoes leaked too - not helped by the fact that he insisted in paddling in every puddle and rivulet on the way home. So he had to have dry socks and shoes too - and guess what, the minute we were indoors and consoling ourselves with tea and biscuits, IT STOPPED RAINING. Sorry, but I think that was personal.

I was so crotchety that I didn't want to sit and eat with my students, so I cooked their supper and then made some feeble excuse and sat eating a boiled egg and soldiers in solitary splendour. I don't think they minded, and it made me feel a bit better.

Tomorrow is a London day, so I really hope it won't be like today. I'm meeting an old friend in Peter Jones Coffee Shop on the top floor (where else?) and then we're going to the Decorative Fair in Battersea Park to look at beautiful things we can't possibly afford. Later, in the evening, there's an informal get together for CDP people, and since we were both at CDP approximately a hundred years ago, we're going along to enjoy a glass of wine and see if we can recognize anyone. Last time it wasn't too difficult because everyone wore a name badge, so if the faces didn't look familiar you could delay embarrassment by putting on your glasses to read their names. I'll report back and tell you how it goes...

Well, it's time for me to go to bed, and would you believe it, it's pouring with rain again. I'll tuck my hot water bottle under my feet and just get cosy with a book. Roll on Summer....

6 comments:

Expat mum said...

We're having the same weather in Chicago today - and we have a leaking roof. Sigh!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Expat mum - well fancy that, worldwide weather!! Poor you with a leaking roof, that's expensive..
M xxx

Maggie May said...

Its raining here too. In fact it has been raining non stop for several weeks and we are all fed up with it. We do get enough rain in England but no one has thought of a good way of catching it. It all runs back to the sea & then the hose pipe bans come in.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Maggie, good to hear from you. You are quite right about our poor conservation of the rain we get - it's appalling. M xx

Put A Ring on Me said...

it will be sunny finally :)

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi there Put a Ring on Me, and a rather belated response - the only thing is, it's still gloomy weather here!! Thanks for your sunny thought - still hoping :-)
Regards, Margot.