Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thailand here I come...

    It's only three weeks until we go on our Thailand trip, and I'm pretty excited about it. I'm collecting good advice from anyone who has been, so would be happy to have any Thailand Tips you may want to share with me, please! Son, who has been to Thailand twice, has a very laid-back approach to travel  generally, and recommends just relaxing and enjoying it, We are going to a five-star resort on Koh Samui, so I don't imagine there's much to fear really. I asked my Doctor about vaccinations etc, and she suggested taking the risk of Malaria pretty seriously (and who am I to disagree). However, there are various points of view, and some friends have suggested that I should simply spray thoroughly (with DEET).  rather than take pills. And of course it depends which area of Thailand one is going to. I'm going to see the Practice Nurse this week, so that should be sorted one way or another. As for clothes, everyone says take very few clothes and very light things because it is so hot, pretty obvious I know, but I'm sure Daughter will be taking the  biggest suitcase she can lay hands on!  Anyway, please do pass on any info, it would be much appreciated.
    This has been a lovely weekend, familywise, if not weatherwise. Son and his Girlfriend came down on Friday (a belated Mothers' Day celebration) and we all had dinner here. The main course was bought and cooked by Son and Girlfriend, nibbles etc came courtesy of Daughter, and her Boyfriend brought the wine. I made dessert (actually I made one and bought one), so it was truly a joint effort, and very nice too. Grandson supplied the entertainment (he usually does) and we all had a really great evening. Saturday was fun too, though the weather was awful - very cold and rainy for a change. We went to a VegFest in Hove Town Hall which was just awful - the food didn't taste of much, though I'm sure it was very worthy, and the place was full to bursting with worthy vegetarian and vegan enthusiasts wearing vegetarian clothes and shoes. I really wouldn't wish to offend anyone, but it certainly wasn't my cup of tea. In the end we scooted back home and got cosy in front of the fire which sounds boring but was lovely. Son and I played Scrabble (he won) we ate some more nice food and we watched the football. A perfect Saturday and a great weekend.
   

7 comments:

Achelois said...

Hi I can't remember if I have commented here before or not!For that I apologise. My son has just returned from Thailand. You sound more organised than he and going with more money! He had a pretty laid back approach. It was recommended that he had Hepatitis A jab for travelling to Thailand. It sounds as though you have plenty of good advice. So apart from the Hepatitis A jab info, I will just wish you a wonderfully relaxing time.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Achelois and thank you for visiting. Funnily enough I was given a Hepatitis vaccination just this morning, combined with Typhoid!! So hopefully I'll be well covered :-)
I'll try and stay relaxed. Hope your son enjoyed his trip - it sounds a wonderful place.. M xx

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Have a great time Margo. Your son is right. I think the recommendation is take half the clothes and twice the money. Sounds good to me! I'm off to Singapore next weekend to pick up a cruise ship back to Rome. Can't wait.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Thank you for your comment Ann, and sorry for the delay in replying - I didn't see it before we left. Now back of course, having had a wonderful time and your advice about clothes and money was spot on! Next time that's what I'll do :-). I hope your Singapore/Rome trip was good. It's so marvellous being warm in the sun - not so good back home! M xx

Subha said...

hi Hove,
Have a lovely trip to Thailand.
I have not been there but wanted to just tell you to taste their momos!
They are just great.

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

Are you still in Thailand?

Family Affairs said...

Where have you gone?? It's been a year since you did a post - did you end up staying in Thailand?? LX