Monday, February 26, 2018

Holding Back Time

      Yesterday morning after a lovely late breakfast with my Barcelona family, I took a walk to the beach. It was a warm sunny day and as I sat watching the Sunday people promenading, I couldn't help thinking that we are all, one way or another, trying to hold back time. There were beautiful young people everywhere, running, jogging, skating and playing beach volleyball,  all with so much energy, and all fighting a losing battle! Even the very little ones, so delightful and full of beans on their little bikes and scooters are rushing headlong into a future they can't contain. The little ones want to be older, the older ones want to be younger and fitter, but we are all heading towards the same place, unavoidably. I understand why older men want younger women partners, (and vice versa) because it gives the illusion of more years, more time to spend or fritter away - because that's what we are all doing. As I watched the throngs of people, the little boats bobbing in the sun, the paddle boarders, and all humanity, it was something of a revelation to me - and I hope not a depressing one for you. Personally I found it strangely comforting, but perhaps that's because I'm fairly well adjusted to getting older - and I'm doing it mostly alone. Really, there's no choice so we may as well enjoy it.
      It was the perfect weekend for those of us who are mad about football. I just love watching it, and used to love playing it with big Grandson. Sadly for  me, I can't run any more, and that upsets me - but anyway I can watch my beloved Spurs, and even from here I can manage to Live Stream the matches I want to see. Son and I had a bit of a pantomime sorting it out but in the end we were able to watch the winning goal for the Spurs (good old Harry Kane - though he's only 24) and see the Arsenal soundly beaten by Manchester City at Wembley.  And because Chelsea lost their match with Manchester United,  we moved up to 3rd in the Premier League. Good results all round (as long as you don't support the Arsenal). The football was accompanied by a very tasty Bolognese supper (at Son's apartment at half time!) and then small Grandson throwing himself around the sitting room in a regular fury of energy just before he went to bed. And then I strolled 'home' to my apartment. where I sat with a glass of wine in utter peace and comfort. Lucky me...
   
   

1 comment:

Expat mum said...

Just been catching up. (I've been very remiss on the blogging front recently.)
I hope you have a relaxing time in Barcelona. Sounds like you are. I also hope Grandson is OK. You summed up his situation very well and he definitely has a support in you. Trying times for him though.
x