Thursday, March 8, 2018

Here comes the sun. Or not...



      At last, the sun is shining  here in Barcelona. We have blue skies and just tiny little puffs of white cloud here and there. I walked down to the beach this morning, and the sea was a glittering rich blue, with little sailing boats dotted about. There was a stiff offshore breeze and yet the sun was very warm. I closed my eyes and listened to the sounds of the City: the whoosh of constant cars along the coast road, and the distant wail of an ambulance winding its way across town. A City by the sea is a strange combination of sounds and textures, and Barcelona is a good example - as indeed is Brighton when I'm at home.
     The trouble with walking away from a post is that most probably everything will have changed by the time you come back!  And sure enough it's cloudy and cold again today and was raining when I went out for my Cortado and Croissant this morning, I have a lovely corner cafe just a short stroll from my apartment, and I have become a breakfast regular there. It's really nice to have a smile and a Spanish hello (Hola!) when I walk in, and now I have been accorded the greeting " Un Cortadito?", or "a little Cortado" -  which is just a friendlier version. By the way, if you should come to Barcelona, I can recommend La Tornada, on the corner of Carrer Zamora, in the Olympic City. Great coffee.
      Don't talk to me about last night's football though. I was invited over to Son's apartment for a bite of supper (a super risotto) a glass of wine (pale rose) and a European Football match between the Spurs and Juventus (the Italian Champions) and it ended in defeat for the Spurs. I suppose they have to lose some matches, and they have had a good winning streak, but I find it hard to grin and bear it.
      Introspection haunts me when I'm away from home, and this trip is no exception. I ponder on where I have fallen short, and how wrong I have been on so many occasions. Having the time and space for this, it just falls like an avalanche and smothers me with regrets. But on a healthier note, my plans for the future are taking shape. I'm deciding not to go backwards, but forwards. This probably means not going back to Hove and the same old pattern. Is it too late for this? I hope not. Time will tell.  . 


   

No comments: