Thursday, July 5, 2018

En-ger-land..

      Well, I don't suppose I'm the only one writing about the football today. Last night I was glued to the television, just like millions of other fans, and going through very hell as our team fought its way to the quarter finals of the World Cup! And fought it was - I don't think I have seen quite as many deliberate fouls on and off the ball as we witnessed last night. I suppose I should have felt sorry for the poor referee who was mobbed by Colombian players every time he made a decision they didn't like. And there were plenty of those. Our boys, though, were magnificent and mostly kept their cool.
Of course the fact that the Spurs have five players in the England Squad is a matter of great pride to me, and my family. And they all played so well - three of them scoring in the final penalty shoot-out:
Harry Kane, Kieran Trippier and the heroic Eric Dier. What an excitement it was. and what a great result. Now we have to wait for the quarter final match against Sweden on Saturday. And as I have been watching the World Cup every day since it started, I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms.
Wimbledon is no consolation either, though I expect I will take more notice of it next week.
      The hot (boiling) weather has luckily coincided with the World Cup, so I have  had the perfect excuse to stay out of the sun. Our grass is dry and burned off, and the poor plants are all gasping. I do give them some water, but it's impossible to give them enough. At the weekend I did go to a friend's beach hut in Rustington, which is fairly near, and had a glorious swim in the sea. It was my first swim of the year and just perfect on such a hot day. We also did those traditional "Beach Hut" things like making cups of tea and chasing her dog. And she was doing mini housekeeping in the hut.  It was very funny, and we laughed a lot.
      Moving on, I seem to be undecided about moving on. I was quite sure until last week when Big Grandson said he likes it here, and as he spends quite a lot of time here, that's important. In fact he stayed with me for the week last week as his Mum and the New Bloke went off for a few days holiday to the Isle of Wight. We got on very well and didn't have a single argument which he said was a novelty. Mind you, that house is so crowded what with New Bloke, his oldest Son of 18 and the dog living there permanently, with Daughter, Big Grandson and Granddaughter. And New Bloke's daughter who is 5, comes for weekends. We only need Old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all to top it off - it's no wonder they argue when they must be tripping over each other all the time.
    Ah well, nothing's perfect, I'm just glad it's not me sharing one bathroom with that lot!

No comments: