Monday, September 15, 2008

Time to go, Golden...

Oh, Gordon Brown, just get on your bike and let us get on with our crisis without you. Honestly, we know that you're not in the least concerned to help, you're only worried about your own status, and wouldn't have a clue how to read a gas meter anyway. And as for sacking the poor woman who had the nerve to question your leadership, well, we're right behind her. We know what a bully you are - that sort of news travels fast - and we have no wish to detain you further. Goodbye and Good Luck (and good riddance).

I'm sorry that another week has passed without any news (I nearly wrote "newts" - how appropriate) from me - it's just that I seem to be very busy, and then in the evenings I sink down and can't be arsed to get up again. Sorry. Last week I picked up Grandson from school on Tuesday, and could see that he is getting used to the discipline. He spotted me waiting, but stood behind the line with his Teacher until it was his turn to move. In the meantime, he called out and blew me a kiss, just in case I hadn't seen him. What a sweetie. We went home and sat with tea and cakes, played a few games and generally chilled out until Daughter came home from work. It's going to be my regular day for the time being, so I will be off again to meet him tomorrow. We had a bit of an upset at the weekend though, which I really should have seen coming. It had been Grandson's first full week at school (5 days of 8.45am to 3.10pm) and Daughter had ended up working four days too. Neither of them had done this before, and come Saturday they were both tired and tetchy. When I spoke to Daughter in the early evening she was very tetchy indeed, and let me have it when I defended Grandson. I tried to be reasonable, but couldn't get a word in. In the end she put Grandson on the phone and he said "It's not my fault Nana, it's Mummy. She won't listen to me." Well, what would you do? I knew it would be my fault, so I just rolled over. Of course I always defend him - he's only little. And has there ever been a child who would admit to being tired? Finally, she hung up on me in a temper, but luckily I was just going out for dinner with a friend and so I didn't sit here stewing about it. Later she phoned and left me a long apologetic message, saying that they had sorted it out and he had gone to bed after a cuddle and a story. Never mind, I've got broad shoulders. And anyway, a Mother's place....

We had a lovely weekend, weatherwise, so I walked beside the sea a couple of times (sorry Aims, just clean forgot my camera!) and spent several hours in the garden, doing an Autumn clearout. I also attacked the pond, because my water Irises have just got out of control. I dug out quite a few big roots, and at one point disturbed a large frog. We just looked at each other for a couple of minutes, and then it swam off to the other end of the pond. I was very pleased to see it, but couldn't find any of the babies. I do hope that they are OK. Hon. Grandaughter was here on Friday night and Saturday morning, which was lovely because I hadn't seen her since July. She was trying to spot the frogs, and her fish, but the duckweed was just too thick. It's her 10th Birthday next Sunday, and when I asked her what she wanted she said that she only wants either a Pony or a Cat. I have to say, she won't be getting either, but I wonder if I can think of a creative way of making her wish come true?

Speaking of Birthdays, Son will be 29 tomorrow. Another year has sped past, and when I think back to this time last year, things have really improved for all of us, but particularly for him - not that I like to tempt Fate. He phoned me on Saturday night from Ireland, where he was attending an Awards Ceremony for another part of the Music Industry, He sounded pretty drunk (why else would he phone his Mum?) and told me a long story about having gone up on stage to collect an Award for someone who wasn't there. Apparently he was then thrown out (!!) but came back to do his DJ set. And great fun was had by all. Did I say he's 29 tomorrow? Am I sure?

The other lovely thing that happened last week was that I went up to London on Thursday, spent a few hours looking around the shops at gorgeous clothes I can't afford, and then met up with Son to go to a private club in Soho. It was very smart and exclusive, and we sat in the top floor bar (which is a Roof Garden in Summer) drinking spritzers, listening to new live Artists for Son's work, and eating the most delicious food. (I had wonderful queen scallops with a very delicate saffron risotto.) Altogether a great evening. When I was on the train home, I sent Son a text saying how much I had enjoyed the evening, and he sent one back saying we should do it more often. Lucky me...

9 comments:

Donna said...

Oh, Don't worry about the argument with Daughter...I learned a Long time ago to just Swallow my good advice and let "the mother" handle things...works out Much better that way. The first time the little one's Big Blue Eyes, filled with tears, met mine...I KNEW I had to look the other way and keep my mouth shut. We have Wonderful daughters and we Have to let them learn (gentle nudges are permitted)!hahahaaa...WHAT??LOL...well they are...(I nudge...often)hahaaaa...Happy birthday to Everyone there!! Have a Happy sleep sweetie!!hughugs

auntiegwen said...

I don't suppose it ever gets easier does it ? Sending you some love

I am currently living with a Beautiful Baby Daughter who is a mass of prickly tetchiness and she really is putting my Pollyanna nickname to the full test !

aims said...

You are very lucky M. You are surrounded by people who love you - even if you do have a spat or two with them.

Things have really turned around for your son haven't they? He's certainly going places that are up!

I will wait and wait until you remember your camera. I will try and imagine the beauty until then.

Expat mum said...

Ah, tired, tetchy kids, don't you love 'em? I always say they need a warm bath and an early night when they're like that, no matter what age. Sounds like they did something like that in the end.

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

Hi Donna, I know I shouldn't get involved, but I can't stop myself. Thank you for your wisdom - it does help to get another point of view. And you're right, she is wonderful and is doing her best! M xx

Hi Auntie Gwen, and thank you so much. There's always something to deal with isn't there? Your BBD will come out the other side of that, I know, and she will love you just the same, whatever! M :-)

Hi aims, and thank you - you are so amazingly patient with me - I promise to try harder. Yes, hardly dare say it, but things have improved haven't they? M xx

Hi expatmum, you're absolutely right. In the middle of it all, that's hard to remember, but it always works. Thank you for the wise words. M :-)

www.retiredandcrazy.com said...

I'm glad your son is doing so well M. One of our grandsons is causing concern. He graduated, can't find a job and won't come home for some TLC. And your daughter/grandson story is so familiar. Are you secretly living my life?

Anonymous said...

We all have our little moods but mum's are always there for their kids. Even at the worst of it.

A big happy birthday to your son, hope he has a lovely day.

CJ xx

Milla said...

I loved this - that one minute you're with a tiny moppett (aaah) and the next trolling around in Soho bars. Way to go Grandma!

A Mother's Place is in the Wrong said...

HI RAC, yes, we do seem to have a lot in common, don't we? It's so worrying about your Grandson - young men do feel that they have to prove themselves, when actually a bit of TLC would often set them up again. It's so hard to watch. Love and thoughts to you. M xx

Hi Crystal, and thank you so much. Yes, he did have a lovely (and busy) day. He had so many Birthday messages from friends on his Facebook. As for us Mums, well we wouldn't have it any other way, would we? M xx

Hi Milla, well, when you put it like that, it does sound pretty good. I know I'm one lucky grandma.
M :-)