Saturday, December 1, 2007

Those were the days, my Friend..

Well, I'm very popular today. Daughter and Grandson came over for a visit on this sunny morning, and then I had a call from Son to say that he is coming down this evening and can he have a bed. There's a Birthday Party in Brighton tonight, and loads of his friends are descending on the town. When they were on the train I had another call to see if there might be an extra spare bed (there is), so I may well have two, or even three, overnight visitors. As long as one of them is Son, I don't mind who else comes. We have had more stuff from the Solicitor today too: forms and queries relating to the Flat Sale. So I have written replies and put it all ready for Son to sign - it all helps to speed things up. I also had a phone call from our buyer this morning, with a few more questions. And it seems that her buyers are still keen to move before Christmas! Funny how some days are all movement and others, like yesterday, are more or less static.

Last night I had a phone call from my dear old Drummer Friend - he had read my blog when I sent him the link, and had been trying to email me. It didn't help that he had the wrong email address, so we sorted that out. We were reminiscing about times past, music, old friends, and everything we used to have in common. Neither of us can really believe that we're not still the lively, lovely young things we once were, with all the energy and optimism of youth. And the innocence. Where did all those years go, and how did we get to where we are now? In fact, in my head, I'm still that elfin girl with her collar turned up, laughing as we all revolved in that revolving door one dark, rainy night in Romford. Terry, Graham and me.

This morning I was listening to reports of the latest riots in Paris, and I wondered (not for the first time) why it is that we don't revolt in this country? The people of France are always ready to stand up and be counted when they don't agree with Authority or policies. And they very often achieve their aims - they just don't take no for an answer. Here, we may be privately revolting (!), but we seldom actually do anything about it. Why? You would think, with all the recent dodgy stuff around the Government and the obviously suspect activity which senior Cabinet members and Politicians seem to be indulging in, that there would be public outcry.Far from it. We are a nation of procrastinators. We haver (to use a Scottish word). And as a result, we have the Government we deserve. It's pathetic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's true. I still feel so young, like in my twenties yet I'm almost 38. I know I'm still young but I feel even younger!!

Crystal xx

Stinking Billy said...

M, Interesting point about us Brits, and I agree, but you missed the opportunity of a little beaut, there. You could have finished with "We haver government we deserve."