Friday, December 14, 2007

'Tis the Season to be Jolly.

I may have been slacking for a couple of days, but you will be glad to know that Horsemart is "Keeping me in the Saddle!" Now I haven't a clue either what Horsemart is, or how they got my email address, but I keep getting their newsletter. I wonder if it's a bit of a prank on the part of my Aristocratic BF, because she is decidedly horsey, having owned and run racehorses for years. I'm going to see her next week for a pre-Christmas junket (or pudding and bubbly), so I will ask. I don't think it's her, but she is the only horsey connection I can think of. It's a puzzle!

Daughter's Birthday was a great success; we went to Ikea for the day, and bought her a few goodies. Plus, of course, a few Christmas presies for Grandson. We drank their lovely coffee (and bought some for home consumption) and had lunch too. It was a sunshiny day, and the car behaved itself all the way there and back. We picked up Grandson from Nursery, as he was staying the night with me. That was lovely too, except that I did my usual trick of lying awake and hearing every cough and whimper.
However, he slept until 7am, which was perfect, so I didn't have to crawl out of bed too early.

My next treat was a lovely lunch with my very talented London BF, who whizzed down for a business meeting and managed to fit in a meeting with me, a yummy burger and a glass of rose wine. We exchanged Christmas gifts, caught up with our news, and both said how much we are looking forward to a very different New Year in 2008. All good things are coming our way, and that's a fact...

I really must thank all my readers and other Bloggers who make such nice comments and who are interested in what I get up to - they are also ever-ready to help with any problems or to pass on words of encouragement and wisdom. It's a very real community, which I didn't expect, and which I am so pleased to be a part of.

I'm looking after Grandson again tomorrow, because Daughter has been having extended Birthday celebrations. She is going out tonight with several of her old Cambridge buddies who now live in Brighton. They are going clubbing and she is staying out for the night, while the Boyfriend does duty as babysitter. Grandson is being delivered to me at 8am, so I had better look lively in the morning. I'm still writing Christmas cards, putting up decorations and Christmas lights and wrapping presents. (Well to be truthful, my wrapping is only done on a "need it now" basis.) I'm hoping that tomorrow I can get a bit more done, depending on how active Grandson wants to be. This morning we went to his Nursery Christmas event - they were doing a special Dance Class to which parents were invited, and it was a delight. I did remember to take tissues, but couldn't find one when I needed it - and of course we all needed one. The children really enjoyed themselves, and were so surprised when we applauded them - it was their first public appearance. Grandson was, of course, the star of the show, though I may be slightly biased.

The end of Dombey and Son, and I love it when even the worst characters are included in the happy ending. Mr Dombey really did not deserve to be so loved by Florence, or to be presented with a grandson, but there you are: Dickens was a true humanitarian, and gave his characters the benefit of the doubt, mostly. I was completely wrong about Walter Gay, who was happily accepted by Florence, but right about Carker's sticky end. I do wonder what happened to proud Mrs. Dombey, but perhaps I missed that bit.

My French Lady is here again for the weekend, and will be off teaching at the European School of Animal Osteopathy tomorrow at the crack of dawn. Come to think of it, maybe Horsemart comes from her? Though if it did, it would be in French I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your grandson's nursery play reminds me of the ones I used to watch with Amy. They dressed her up as an angel one year and fixed a large gold tinsel halo over her head. It slipped when we got home!

Blogging is great isn't it!

Crystal xx