Wednesday, November 14, 2007

No Manners.

Well, that was the absolute pits. He did seem to enjoy the spag. bol. and salad - his plate was practically licked clean - but still no conversation. And then when I went into the kitchen to get dessert, I came back to find that he had vanished, without a word. I sat and waited for a few minutes, and then called up the stairs to him. He came down, without a word of apology, and sat and demolished his meringue and ice cream, again in silence. Then he said he was full. Oh goody. I have noticed that he he tends to appear at the table without saying either good morning or good evening and then disappears after food. I did think it was maybe that he didn't know what to say, but now I think he just doesn't have any manners. (And if he was any son of mine, he would have had a 'metaphorical' clip round the ear by now.) I then explained to him that the English are a polite nation, and say "please" and "thank you" where appropriate. He had the grace to look rather ashamed - and I have discovered that he does know the words - he just didn't think it was necessary to say them. (Why?) This man is thirty-six - not a child. He is not married, lives alone and doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment. I can't say I'm surprised.

My lovely computer man, Dan, came round with my new keyboard this afternoon. It is very smart indeed and goes beautifully with all my black and silver equipment. It also has some very intelligent functions which I will have to get to grips with. Dan and I sat and had tea and biscuits after he had installed the keyboard, and both looked back over a somewhat chequered year. We are going to get together for a celebration before Christmas, and drink a toast to better times.

I haven't seen Grandson yet this week and I miss him - he has had a busy week at Nursery though, making decorations for their Christmas Party. And he has told Daughter that he wants to go and give Mickey Mouse a cuddle (in Disneyland). He has seen the ads for Disneyland which are on every Walt Disney video or DVD, and fancies a giant cuddle from a giant Disney character. Bless the boy. Impossible as it may seem, Daughter is now looking at schools for him. They will be moving as soon as the flat sale goes through, so it will be all change. And thinking slightly ahead, Son has suggested that we might all go away for Christmas if everything goes to plan. Somewhere hot. Sounds good to me.

As it was getting dark this evening, a delicate sliver of moon appeared between the blowing branches of the cherry tree. I noticed it through the window. "How lovely", I thought, how good I feel and how our lives have moved on in just a couple of days. I guess that's all it takes.

No comments: