Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"What light through yonder window breaks?"

Have I done something right? It seems so. Because I breast-fed my two children, I have given them a head start in the intelligence stakes, apparently. How strange, and I'm not sure how that configures. I know it seemed the right thing to do at the time, but it was also a very pleasurable and rewarding experience. Luckily, I didn't have any disasters with breast-feeding, as many mothers do. (Though I wasn't given the correct information, or very much encouragement either.) I did have mastitis once, very briefly, and have felt sorry for cows ever since. It was bloody painful. I don't much like drinking milk myself, and do think it's awful that we keep cows lactating for years after they have given birth, just so that we can drink milk every day. Poor things. Nine months was enough for me..

Son's flat seems to have sold - again - at last. I say 'seems' because I have learned over the last year not to count my chickens. It's not a great offer, and was very badly handled by the Estate Agents (surprise, surprise), so we spent yesterday to-ing and fro-ing on the phone, with everyone getting the wrong bits of information. The prospective buyer seemed to be calling the tune, so I was not at all happy. However, I have read my horoscope today, and am remaining calm and flexible. We'll see what happens over the next few days.

Grandson was here last night to give Daughter a break and a good sleep, but the consequence was that I had a terrible night. He has a cold and a cough, so I kept dozing off, only to be woken by loud snoring when he was on his back, or fits of coughing in my ear when he turned onto his side. Bless the boy, it wasn't his fault, but I lay there re-hashing the day's events and 'worriting' myself into a state.
I think I finally dropped off to sleep some time after three until about 6.30, so I'll just about last the day. I whisked him off to Nursery this morning, through ghastly traffic. He does make it entertaining though, because he has started spotting numbers and letters on the way. He knows 'w' for William,'m' for Mumma and 'n' for Nana. He's learning to read!

No comments: